In Memoriam

Sister Margaret (M. DePorres) Morris
January 1928 — October 9, 2016

Resurrection liturgy for Sister Margaret Morris was held at Salem Heights Chapel in Dayton on Thurs­day, Oct. 13. Margaret, 88, had been a Sister of the Pre­cious Blood for 68 years.

Born in Dunkirk, Ind. in Jan. 1928, Margaret Lucille was the older of two children to James L. and Helen P. (Schick) Morris. At the age of 18 she desired to serve God and help others in His name and formally entered the Congregation of the Sisters of the Precious Blood on Nov. 17, 1946. In religion she was given the name Sister Mary DePorres and later returned to her baptis­mal name.

After teaching grade school children for one year in Fort Wayne, Ind., and two years in Mesa, Ariz., Sister spent the next 15 years as Assistant Sacristan at Salem Heights in Dayton. From 1967-78 she ministered as Sacristan at Saint Peter in Chains Cathedral in Cincinnati, Ohio. Her Community then called her to serve three years at the retreat house in Maria Stein, Ohio. From 1981-87 she served at Salem Heights as sacristan and baked altar bread at Maria- Joseph Center. Sister’s calm and reverent de­meanor in the sanctuary always gave evidence of her deep respect for the Divine Presence and her love for Jesus.

Through the years Sister Margaret served in other capacities within her ministries: organist, catechist, and service to the elderly poor.

In 2000 Margaret retired to Salem Heights. With the deterioration of her health, Sister moved to the Maria-Joseph Center for the extra care needed in September, 2016.

Sister Margaret is survived by her Precious Blood Community of Sisters, her sister, Dorothy (Don) Nipp and many close cousins.

Interment took place in the Salem Heights Cemetery.

 

Sister Mary Barbara (M. Madeleva) Agnew
April 1925 — October 8, 2016

Resurrection liturgy for Sister M. Barbara Agnew was held at the Salem Heights Chapel in Dayton, on Wednesday, Oct. 12. Barbara, 91, had been a Sister of the Precious Blood for 67 years.

Born in April 1925 in Dayton, Mary Barbara was the older of three children to Walter I. and Marie K. (Weiser) Agnew. On Feb. 2, 1949 at the age of 23, she formally entered the Congre­gation of the Sisters of the Precious Blood. In religious life she was given the name of Sister Mary Madeleva and later returned to using her baptismal name.

After graduating from college she taught one year in the Cincinnati Public Schools before en­tering the convent. She continued her teaching career mainly on high school level in Cleveland, Wapakoneta, and Cincinnati.

After earning her master’s and a doctorate of philosophy, Sister Barbara was awarded two grants in 1976 to study at two notable divinity schools. She wrote numerous articles for vari­ous publications, and delivered many papers on various aspects of theology. She loved to read a variety of newspapers and journals and interact with others in discussion on topics of theology and Church issues.

At Pennsylvania’s Villanova University, Bar­bara ministered in the Theology Department in teaching, writing and doing research as a theo­logian and faculty member. After her retirement in 1999 Sister ministered in parish faith forma­tion, in literacy training in city prisons and working in a residence of formerly homeless men and women.

She continued her retirement in Dayton at Sa­lem Heights. Barbara moved to Cypress Pointe in September 2016 due to declining health. Sister Barbara is survived by her Precious Blood Community of Sisters, and many nieces and nephews. Preceding her in death were her sisters, Edith (Agnew) Roat and Precious Blood Sister Anne Agnew.

Interment took place in the Salem Heights Cemetery.